When someone who’s not real familiar with cannabis thinks of it, certain stereotypes come to mind that are more connected with Doritos than getting moving — but those of us who’ve gotten to know the plant know she can offer all kinds of motivation and energy. (And with The New York Times recent article revisioning The Stoner as a Gym Rat, that stereotype is on its way out.)
Something else that will help fade the lazy stoner stereotype is increased awareness on how much cannabis one actually needs to enjoy its benefits. People often have far too much, resulting in the inability to function in the outside world and desire to sit still. Just take a toke or two if you don’t smoke regularly (or even if you do) and see what that does for you, increasing until you reach your desired effect.
Plan Ahead to Tackle Your Day with Cannabis
It’s also helpful to make a plan before you toke up. The same reasons why it can be so fun to get active while you’re under the spell of cannabis are the ones that can lead to not getting up and going — everything is more interesting with this mighty herb, making distractions an obstacle to getting to that hike or other active adventure. Planning before toking helps ensure plans aren’t derailed in the making of them.
It’s also important to think about what kind of cannabis you ought to use when you’re looking to have an energetic experience. When you take edibles, they are processed through your liver; which results in a higher likelihood of a more “couch-locked” mellow experience. Try vaping, smoking, or letting a tincture dissolve under your tongue.
And, of course, there’s the matter of sativa vs. indica. It’s not a complicated matter, we may even just refer to a commonly used phrase to help people remember: “Indica = In-da-couch.” To get energy from your smoke sesh, you’re going to want to go with something that has a strong sativa influence.
Best Sativa Strains for Energy
These are some strains we enjoy when we want to feel energetic. They may not have that effect on everyone, so feel free to share some of your favorites in the comments!
- Jack Herer: If you’re looking for a clear-headed high that boosts your energy while giving you a sense of euphoria, Jack’s your man. This piney-smelling strain is also said to be a great aid in creativity, making it superb for dancing or other creative physical activities.
- Super Lemon Haze: This Cannabis Cup favorite gives a lively and energetic high, additionally refreshing via its fresh citrusy taste. Great for fighting fatigue and an excellent choice for those with anxiety.
- Chiesel: This hybrid with sativa effects will leave you feeling sociable and energetic while also being an excellent choice for killing pain that may be sapping your energy supplies. It’s parents passed on a pungent smell, combining Big Buddha Cheese and NYC Diesel.
- Durban Poison: The sweet-but-piney smell is immediately followed by a clear and energetic high that’s a great social lubricant. Also a great aid for those fighting depression, anxiety, or PTSD.
- Green Crack: As the name suggests, this is a superb choice for getting amped and energetic — a horrible choice for a bedtime bowl, but great for a wake n’ bake. Enjoy the fruity flavor and get rolling!
- Pineapple Express: Is this energetic sativa-dominant cross between Trainwreck and Hawaiian the key behind Seth Rogen’s weight loss transformation? This strain calms the mind and stimulates the body, helping you get off the couch and to the gym.
Of course, our friendly and knowledgeable Have a Heart budtenders can help connect you with these sativa strains for energy, as available; and connect you with stellar alternatives if not.
FIND OUR STORE CLOSEST TO YOU